Wednesday 16 August 2017

THE FACE | SETTING POWDERS FOR OILY SKIN


Oily skin girl's best friend is a good powder to control the excessive production of oil! I could not agree more. Finding a great setting powder can make a huge difference in the makeup game. Of course primers and foundation count too but finishing products are the way to go. One of my perceptions when I was starting with makeup is that setting powders are all the same! They do the same job and give the same finish. Well, I was definitely proven wrong! Now that we are moving forward with technology, setting powders are created with different formulas and finishes so finding a great setting powder is definitely a big challenge for oily skin girls.


I've narrowed down my favourites based on how they perform and the finish that it gives depending on the look I'm going for.



MAC Studio Fix Plus Powder NC42 - This is an OG powder and my first ever high end powder product. I love how the shade range covers all of the colour spectrum. It provides a matte finish and adds up to medium coverage. Typically, I would use this powder in conjunction of BB cream products or if I only apply concealer all over my face. It is also a good compact for touch ups as it adds coverage on the areas that had faded throughout the day. However, be light handed when using this powder as you can go from 0-100 real quick! When applied too much, it brings out the texture in the skin, making it feel real heavy and caked up. So I would suggest a duo fibre brush so it will pick up enough powder to mattify the skin. 

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural Powder 'Medium Plus' - I got the wrong shade in this powder but I still managed to make it work. The finish is natural-satin and it feels very light weight in the skin. I like to set my under eyes and eyelids with this powder or if I wear a darker foundation I would use this powder to balance the tone of the foundation. The texture is very smooth and melts into the skin without looking overly matte. This is not very good at keeping my oily skin matte for a long period of time, but it does make it look flawless when used for touch ups. 



Essence All About Matt Fixing Compact Powder - The best and the most affordable setting powder I have ever tried! This powder is translucent and also comes in loose powder form but I personally prefer the compact. Color wise it may look a little scary because most translucent powders cause flashbacks, but definitely not this one! It does a pretty good job at mattifying my face for a good 7 hours which is pretty good for a powder. My face looks flawless and appears airbrushed in photos, I'm just amazed on how great this powder is and definite must have for oily skin girl's purse. 



Mehron Ultrafine Setting Powder 'Neutral' - I discovered this powder last year while randomly browsing an online shop. Mehron is known for special effects makeup artistry and is most commonly used in theatre makeup. When I saw the claim of it being anti-perspirant? My heart jumped and I quickly placed my order! It comes in a shaker container which is convenient, but I don't like the big holes the shaker has. The powder comes out in chunks but when you dip your brush, the powder flakes into a very fine powder. Surprisingly enough, it does not stink or feel heavy on the skin. I once brought it with me to a tropical country and it helped my makeup last and matte throughout the day! Warning, when applied heavily it can cause really bad flashback. It has a matte and flawless finish to it and I can say it is a thumbs up for oily skin.

Mehron Ultrafine Setting Powder 'Soft Beige' - Main reason I purchased this powder because I loved the previous ones so I thought I would get a tinted ones. It comes in a pastel peachy colour which is fitting for setting the concealer underneath the eyes and for extra brightening. Texture wise, it is the same with the neutral setting powder. It keeps my eyelids and under eyes looking flawless and crease free. I would not recommend using this as an overall powder because it runs a wee bit lighter unless you have really pale skin. Flashback can also be expected so avoid using it for events of flash photography. Other than that it is a great powder! 

What's your favourite setting powder?

Thanks for stopping by!

xx
Carmela

No comments:

Post a Comment